root password of mySQL

boonchuan

Verified User
What is the root password for mySQL installed by Directadmin? Is it the same as the admin password?

The user da_admin has equal privileges to root and the password can be found in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf file.

I can login using SSH mysql -u da_admin -p but I cant login using the phpmyadmin, very strange. I create any users using DA also cant cant login phpmyadmin.

Can you admin user login to phpmyadmin, or any users for that matter?

You might try replacing the phpmyadmin configuration with the one that came with DA. /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/config.inc.php

There was another thread with exactly this same problem a while back. I think the solution was to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Might want to give that a try as well, or search for that thread for more information.

I tried adding 127.0.0.1 to the SQL host, but it still uses localhost in Directadmin, having a headache over this, my previous 5 DA runs so smoothly never expect the 6th to have prob : (

I cant login into any account using phpmyadmin, my phpmyadmin was installed as a package together with DA so shd be DA installation.

Prob is this is for a client who needs to setup his things urgently, quite unfair to him if he has to wait because of such bugs. Will DirectAdmin Support comment?

The 127.0.0.1 didnt work, even da_admin cant login phpmyadmin, I can login as shell though

boonchuan said:
I tried adding 127.0.0.1 to the SQL host, but it still uses localhost in Directadmin, having a headache over this, my previous 5 DA runs so smoothly never expect the 6th to have prob : (

I cant login into any account using phpmyadmin, my phpmyadmin was installed as a package together with DA so shd be DA installation.

Prob is this is for a client who needs to setup his things urgently, quite unfair to him if he has to wait because of such bugs. Will DirectAdmin Support comment?
What is the result of the following command:
Code:
mysql -V
php -m
Did you try to login as that client MySQL username via SSH?

mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.7, for pc-linux (i686)

[PHP Modules]
bcmath
calendar
ctype
curl
ftp
gd
gettext
mcrypt
mhash
mysql
openssl
overload
pcre
posix
session
sockets
standard
tokenizer
xml
zip
zlib

Cant login via mysql in ssh via any other users except da_admin

Check your MySQL priv. for each user if necessary run fix mysql priv etc... and also what is the output:
Code:
rpm -qa|grep MySQL
What is in your /etc/hosts?

Weird cant login using root even in SSH mysql. Reset the root still cant login, only da_admin can. Anyway to reset root? My config.inc.php uses root, could this be the prob?

boonchuan said:
Weird cant login using root even in SSH mysql. Reset the root still cant login, only da_admin can. Anyway to reset root? My config.inc.php uses root, could this be the prob?
Nothing related to phpMyAdmin configuration if you are using http or cookie for login auth. You didn't post the output of what i asked and I am not sure whether does DA support MySQL in version 4.1.x in their installer script as to my understanding it is 4.0.x last time i installed... ...

Thanks all, I am checking with the Support, will post the solution if they solve for me. Cheers

The thing is we lack of information thus unable to help you :p
Good luck ;)

DA Support solve it, posting it here so that others can know what to do

The problem is that mysql 4.1 uses a different password encoding. Because of that, the old passwords don't work because php uses the 3.x authentication protocol.

I had to add:
[mysqld]
old_passwords

to the /etc/my.cnf and restart mysqld. Then I had to reset the passwords for all the users (just go into da and reset the mysql password).

You upgraded MySQL from 4.0.x to 4.1.x is it? Or from initial installation DA it is installing MySQL 4.1.6?

I just installed this DA a few days ago, mysql came with DA never update, I guess I am one of the "pioneers" tester, hey, at least I found a tiny bug for DA. Thanks Choon, you are solid guiding ppl to solve problems!

You mean DA installer install MySQL 4.1.x for you?

I am not guiding people as I am still learning and always learning... :p

boonchuan said:
Yeap DA Installer installed 4.1.
Hmm... I just installed DA for a new server which MySQL get installed is 4.0.17 :p
Code:
# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.17, for pc-linux (i686)

That's weird. I just installed the DA thats it no updates anything. Could it be after I was their guinea pig they decide to switch back? : )

Back