Backup/Restore fails...

Andrax

Verified User
Ok, so i've clients on one server (DA) and had a complete backup done.

Trying to move these to a brand new server and restore them generates errors and fails.

The error is:

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/webadmin/user_backups/testact.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/webadmin/user_backups/testact as webadmin :

This happens for every domain I try to restore. Just substitute the testact.tar.gz with the domain i'm trying to restore.

Also, I was told recently that the DA backup now collects all of the email messages that are on the server and will restore those as well.

However, this was not my experience when I backed up my primary domain and restored it. Everything appears to have been restored except mail data. Where did the mail data go?

Hello,

What happens when you manually extract the file? (tar xvzf file.tar.tz) Try upgrading to the latest DA and then creating the backup again.

Depens on what you mean by mail data. All of the mail settings/users/passwords are backed up and restored. The emails themselves are not backed up.

John

I've got the same problem over here.
I've already upgraded to the newest DA version.

When i extract a file manually, i don't get any errors...but the domain is'nt showing up in te cp..

Hello,

Until we figure out the problem, you should be able to create an emtpy account using the regular "Create Account" function in the Reseller Panel, then try restoring the file. (The backups/user.conf is only ever extracted when the user does not yet exist)

The next thing to test would be to test what the following produces:

tar xzfp /path/file.tar.gz -C /home/admin/user_backups/username backups/user.conf

Make sure user_backups/username exists. DA should be using the Reseller's privileges when doing the extraction. See if that turns up anything.

Could you guys also post what OS's you're using? (Need to try and duplicate the error to see whats up)

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Until we figure out the problem, you should be able to create an emtpy account using the regular "Create Account" function in the Reseller Panel, then try restoring the file. (The backups/user.conf is only ever extracted when the user does not yet exist)

The next thing to test would be to test what the following produces:

tar xzfp /path/file.tar.gz -C /home/admin/user_backups/username backups/user.conf

Make sure user_backups/username exists. DA should be using the Reseller's privileges when doing the extraction. See if that turns up anything.

Could you guys also post what OS's you're using? (Need to try and duplicate the error to see whats up)

John

We have Redhat 9.0 running

Hi,

Another problem with the backups and restores... the public_html symbolic link isn't created which caused a forbidden error for the end users. I've had to create the link myself each time.

Thanks,
Matt :)

Hi,

The same problem here with RH 9 and restore user backups.
The option for: http://IP/~user is missing and after login to FTP the public_html is not there, now we must go to domains -> domainname -> public_html

Thanks for your reply!

Hello,

Try it out with 1.21.3 .. I don't remember if I addressed that, but I do remember changing things a while back.

To recreated the public_html link in either case, go to User Panel -> Advanced Options -> Domain Administration
select the main domain (whichever you want) and click "Set As Default". That will setup the public_html ~user link for now.

John

Hi John!

Yes the update and the discription is working!
Thanks for your GREAT job!

Andrax said:

The error is:
Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/webadmin/user_backups/testact.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/webadmin/user_backups/testact as webadmin :

The same for me.

when trying manually:

tar xzfp username.tar.gz -C /home/admin/user_backups/username/user.conf
tar: /home/admin/user_backups/username/user.conf: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Directory exists.

Any ideas? FreeBSD 4.10, DA 1.224.

sysadm

problem resolved by

chown -R admin:admin /home/admin/user_backups/

Last edited:
Back