Possibility to make DA to send emails via SMTP

zEitEr

Super Moderator
Hello,

it would be nice to correct mailing system of DA it the following ways:

1. In order to send localized emails, we need ability to modify its headers. Some email agents could not define encoding properly, because it is not set in the headers.

2. It would be nice to let every admin and reseller on a server with directadmin to select, how to send outcoming emails (greeting emails and other notifications): using sendmail (local exim) or SMTP. Some emails get stuck on a server and never will be delivered to proper recipient if domain exists locally, but is really hosted on other one.

In case, you've got questions, please, feel free to ask.

----------

Regards,
Alex.

Hello, John. Hello, Floyd.

Thanks for your links.

A problem with encoding of emails occurs, when we use «Message All Users» function, it's not a welcome message.

2 floyd,
1. It's not always a good deal to interfere in an account settings, to send a single email.

2. We do not monitor our clients' domains and do not check if they use our NSs (and IPs). That's why we will not even know, if somebody lives his account and moves to another hosting.

2. We do not monitor our clients' domains and do not check if they use our NSs (and IPs). That's why we will not even know, if somebody lives his account and moves to another hosting.
We've set up a monitor system; we create a simple page which works for every domain on the server.

Then we have a script which checks that page for every domain, and if it doesn't exist, lets us know by email.

You can run the script as often as you want. The output should be either nonexistent or short.

Jeff

2 floyd,
1. It's not always a good deal to interfere in an account settings, to send a single email.

I did not suggest that it should for one email. Perhaps you do not understand the connection.

We've set up a monitor system; we create a simple page which works for every domain on the server.

Then we have a script which checks that page for every domain, and if it doesn't exist, lets us know by email.

You can run the script as often as you want. The output should be either nonexistent or short.

Jeff

I think, you've set up a page with an alias in httpd config. Am I right? If you put it in document root, what does forbid an user to delete it (chattr/chflags)? Very often our users set up new domains, and I don't even know about that. So your script should get list of all domains first, and only than do wget or something like that.

I did not suggest that it should for one email. Perhaps you do not understand the connection.

It's too problematic, I think. We should spend additional time to find an account, change setting. Than only send an email, after that change setting back.

I think, this case is not the only one, and there're some more issues about directadmin's style of sending mails.

You still did not get my point. Oh well I tried.

Some emails get stuck on a server and never will be delivered to proper recipient if domain exists locally, but is really hosted on other one.

If that is the case then the setting needs to be changed permanently not temporarily for one email. The client is responsible for that.

Last edited:
I think, you've set up a page with an alias in httpd config. Am I right? If you put it in document root, what does forbid an user to delete it (chattr/chflags)? Very often our users set up new domains, and I don't even know about that. So your script should get list of all domains first, and only than do wget or something like that.
We simply get the list of domains from
Code:
ls -al /home/*/domains/*

Agreed we then have to check them against users, but we've got them too, right in that output.

Jeff

We simply get the list of domains from
Code:
ls -al /home/*/domains/*

Agreed we then have to check them against users, but we've got them too, right in that output.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for your idea. Perhaps, we'll use it later.

Back