ClamAV update required now

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Several ClamAV versions are now at end-of-life. You need to use version 0.95 or above; all others have been de-activated. If you're using an earlier version, your exim is no longer be working.

You should update immediately. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable updating yourself, you may want to have someone do it for you.

Jeff

You can read here more about the EOL of Clamav
http://www.clamav.net/2009/10/05/eol-clamav-094

Content of that page is/was:

All ClamAV releases older than 0.95 are affected by a bug in freshclam which prevents incremental updates from working with signatures longer than 980 bytes.
You can find more details on this issue on our bugzilla (see bug #1395)

This bug affects our ability to distribute complex signatures (e.g. logical signatures) with incremental updates.

So far we haven’t released any signatures which exceed this limit.
Before we do we want as many users as possible to upgrade to the latest version of ClamAV.

Starting from 15 April 2010 our CVD will contain a special signature which disables all clamd installations older than 0.95 – that is to say older than 1 year.

This move is needed to push more people to upgrade to 0.95 .
We would like to keep on supporting all old versions of our engine, but unfortunately this is no longer possible without causing a disservice to people running a recent release of ClamAV.
The traffic generated by a full CVD download, as opposed to an incremental update, cannot be sustained by our mirrors.

We plan to start releasing signatures which exceed the 980 bytes limit on May 2010.

We recommend that you always run the latest version of ClamAV to get optimal protection, reliability and performance.

Thanks for your cooperation!

That's old news :). The latest version is now 0.96. We've been installing it for a bunch of clients beginning early yesterday.

It's been an easy update for us, and should be for you. It's important to do an upgrade to 0.95 or above, or your email will no longer be delivered.

Jeff

I was really trying to be helpful. I had already spent a lot of time fixing the issue for our clients and I really didn't want extra work, but just wanted to be able to help anyone who had broken email and didn't know how to fix it themselves.

Perhaps I was overzealous. I've edited my posts here and will edit others I've made as well.

Jeff

Several ClamAV versions are now at end-of-life. You need to use version 0.95 or above; all others have been de-activated. If you're using an earlier version, your exim is no longer be working.

I'm having severe problems with v 0.96. If i try to install it on my server (FreeBSD, portsnap fetch update, install etc) after the make command i get, at the end:

Code:
gengtype-lex.c: In function `yy_get_next_buffer':
gengtype-lex.c:2664: warning: old-style parameter declaration
gengtype-lex.c: In function `yy_get_previous_state':
gengtype-lex.c:2796: warning: old-style parameter declaration
gengtype-lex.c: In function `input':
gengtype-lex.c:2909: warning: old-style parameter declaration
gmake[3]: *** [build/gengtype-lex.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/lang/gcc42/work/build/gcc'
gmake[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/lang/gcc42/work/build'
gmake[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/lang/gcc42/work/build'
gmake: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/gcc42.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/clamav.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/clamav.

I tried to upgrade libgmp-4.2.2 with a FORCE_PKG_REGISTER command but that gives errors too .. (didn't log them sorry).

Anyway, i ended up with totally disabeling ClamAV for the moment..!
However, the exim mainlog now gives this error:

Code:
2010-04-17 11:59:05 1O34np-0006M4-Ay == [email protected] R=virtual_user T=virtual_localdelivery defer (13): Permission denied: failed to create directories for /var/spool/virtual/domain.nl: Permission denied

I have ran the set_permissions.sh script but to no avail.. I also updated the exim.conf and .pl to the latest versions.

The /var/spool/virtual/ directory doesn't exist.
I'm not sure if i should create this or not, it's not on my other servers. So why would it be needed now?

System configuration:
  • AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core
  • FreeBSD
  • Apache 2.0.63
  • Exim 4.62
  • dovecot 1.1.16

Any suggestions anyone?

Try:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
patch -p0 < exim.conf.dovecot.patch
Restart exim afterwards.

Try:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
Restart exim afterwards.

That directory doesn't exist:

Code:
total 14218
drwx------  2 diradmin  diradmin      512 Jan 23 16:14 conf
drwxr-xr-x  6 root      diradmin     2048 Jan 20 11:33 customapache
-rwx------  1 diradmin  diradmin   771457 Apr 17 12:18 da-popb4smtp
drwx--x--x  8 diradmin  diradmin      512 Apr 17 12:19 data
-rwx------  1 diradmin  diradmin  4359972 Apr 17 12:18 dataskq
-rwx------  1 diradmin  diradmin  4341957 Apr 17 12:18 directadmin
drwxr-xr-x  3 diradmin  diradmin      512 Oct 22 19:44 plugins
drwx--x--x  4 diradmin  diradmin     1536 Apr 17 12:18 scripts
-rw-------  1 diradmin  diradmin  4954744 Apr 17 12:18 update.tar.gz

As you might notice i've updated DA a few minutes ago...
But it doesn't fix the error (i'd thought i'd at least get the most recent version of DA to rule out errors from DA).

Should i use cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache instead?
The servers have been installed for me by a third party.

If you're running customapache consider switching to custombuild (search these forums for custombuild).

Directadmin isn't causing any errors in your mail system. It doesn't interfere with your mail system.

And updating DirectAdmin doesn't switch you from customapache to custombuild.

I can't directlly help you with your FreeBSD issues; we recommend posting FreeBSD specific issues in the FreeBSD specific subforums here so your post will catch the attention of the FreeBSD users of DirectAdmin who may be best equipped to help you with the ports system.

I've always recommended installing ClamAV from source, as discussed in one large thread on these forums, but I don't know if it'll resolve your ClamAV related issues or not.

Jeff

If you're running customapache consider switching to custombuild (search these forums for custombuild).

I've had some great, wonderfull, help and support from smtalk yesterday and today for the server issues and ClamAV problems i was having. It's great to meat such a supportive group of people here at the DA forums!

Anyone use this with mod_clamav?

I cant seem to get rid of this error:
[24927] cannot create mutex /var/tmp/clamav.lock

even tho I changed the path for it, it still looks in /var/tmp/
ClamavTmpdir /tmp/clamd
ClamavMode daemon
ClamavSocket /tmp/clamd
ClamavShm /tmp/clamav.shm
ClamavMutex /tmp/clamav.lock

Back