WebDAV Support in DirectAdmin Question

WebDAV is not supported at this time. All apache modules/configs are there just for any future implementation, but because of the process rights of "apache" that webDAV would be using, no files would be able to be uploaded to user folders because they're chowned to the user, not apache. We also dont want to have all user files chowned to "apache" as that would be very insecure (everyone could edit each other's files according to linux rules if they had apache write access, which is bad). We're still open to other methods of making webDAV work securly (as the correct user) but FTP is still, and will likely always be the best upload method of choice.
I dont know what you are saying but this is wrong information.

Because the files are owned by 'apache' for each user default WebDAV is not supported yet.

I'm trying to solve this problem with mod_ruid and currently everything works like a charm.

WebDAV must be enabled user-by-user in the custom user's httpd.conf so the files will be owned by the user itself and not apache.

The only problem I currently have is that I can't add the WebDAV to my computer as Network Drive, it doesn't accept the password. But at HTTP or cadaver it works perfectly with my login.

@daveyw:

You write that your quote comes from user necoo when actually it comes from DirectAdmin Support.

It was written almost two years ago, and at the time it was factually correct. In fact John writes the problem is the file ownership, just as you do.

Jeff

You write that your quote comes from user necoo when actually it comes from DirectAdmin Support
After checking I saw the person 'necoo' quotes more messages in topics, also copied some replies from other users. I guess it is/was spambot.

It was written almost two years ago, and at the time it was factually correct. In fact John writes the problem is the file ownership, just as you do.
Correct, but with some modifications I've made atm it's solved. The files/maps created on the WebDAV place (of my user account) are owned by the user itself and not owned by 'apache'.

Remote logged in to /davuploads/ with cadaver
dav:/davuploads/> put test-file.txt
Uploading test-file.txt to `/davuploads/test-file.txt':
Progress: [=============================>] 100.0% of 279 bytes succeeded.
dav:/davuploads/>
yyyy@xxxx:/home/user/domains/domain.tld/public_html/davuploads# dir -al
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 3 user user 4096 Sep 1 21:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 59 user user 4096 Aug 27 12:06 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 4096 Aug 27 17:07 test
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 10 Sep 1 21:29 test-file.txt
yyyy@xxxx:/home/user/domains/domain.tld/public_html/davuploads#

Good work. Care to write a how-to?

By the time I read your post there was nothing from necoo. I'll investigate and if a spammer is using the username I'll take care of it.

Jeff

Currently I've added this in my httpd.conf (custom httpd) of my domain.
Between the <VirtualHost 0.0.0.0:80> and </VirtualHost> section.
## WEBDAV
## TEST

DavLockDB "/home/username/var/DavLock"
<Directory "/home/username/domains/domain.tld/public_html/davuploads">
Dav On
Options +Indexes
IndexOptions FancyIndexing
#AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
AuthType Basic
AuthName "WebDAV Server"
AuthUserFile /home/username/var/user.passwd
Require valid-user
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
NOTE: that you need to replace the bold text.
The lines above can also be added in the custom templates and using |USER| and |DOMAIN|.

Also be sure the dir 'var' and file 'DavLock' exists. (permission of files: 644, dir 'var': 755)
Owner should be the user itself. Its needed to use mod_ruid, so you have the correct ownerships.

HowTo for installing mod_ruid can be found here. I'm also sure its not needed to have the dir in your public_html.

Back