DA needs a WIKI, even if its 100% user supported

Which documentation software should we use? (if you vote, expect to contribute:))

• MediaWiki ([url]http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki[/url])

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • DokuWiki ([url]http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki[/url])

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Article Management System ([url]http://www.articletrader.com/articlems/[/url])

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

GameDNA

Verified User
I am sure this topic has been brought up several times, but i really feel the need to bring up the fact that DA needs to have a comprehensive "Administrators Guide" in a WIKI or the like. Ultimately, this comprehensive "Administrators Guide" and "Users Guide" should keep the wealth of information that is buried deep within this forum in an easy to access and organized manner.

The one real complaint i have is when searching for answers to a problem it is becoming more and more difficult to find what is the most current and up-to-date info on a particular topic. For example the customapache thread was started ages ago, but there are still people contributing to the thread. And somewhere in the middle (on page 25) is the information that was useful.

Additionally, the forum now has so much information the search is becoming watered down.

This topic is not intended to be a complaint but more so a seed that may start something extremely useful for the community. I am sure there are others out there that can see that there is a real need for this, so lets put our heads together and get things rolling.

I am not sure what the DA people have in store for us, but I would be willing to contribute time and/or resources to this project. Any one else game?

I'm discussing this with several people now, and will keep this thread updated.

Jeff

Yep,

Too much info, too much of it is similar, and sometimes can't tell what's valid , and what's not.

I support this need too.

same here...

searching the forum for answers is like finding a needle in the haystack sometimes...

Topic for controlling spam with DA

One important feature that i feel that the WIKI must address is a comprehensive guide to properly installing, configuring, maintaining and updating a highly effective spam and virus control system under DA.

I know when i first setup my first DA box, this was one of the most painful processes, simply due to the number of options available, and configuration choices there were.

This is an open ended topic, but the community should be able to come to some unanimous terms as to what is the best way to get a good level of control.

One important feature that i feel that the WIKI must address is a comprehensive guide to properly installing, configuring, maintaining and updating a highly effective spam and virus control system under DA.
Then you'll volunteer to write it, right ;) ?

Actually I've got one partially written but it's based on SpamBlocker3, which isn't final yet, so it'll come as soon as SpamBlocker3 is done.

Now that I've added wikiwatching to all the other stuff I do, I hope I get a lot of help on the wiki so I don't fall even further behind.
I know when i first setup my first DA box, this was one of the most painful processes, simply due to the number of options available, and configuration choices there were.
Protecting against spam is actually quite easy, but you're right; you have to know how.
This is an open ended topic, but the community should be able to come to some unanimous terms as to what is the best way to get a good level of control.
No one likes defaults, and everyone likes their own way. It's going to be an interesting topic; I hope I don't have to lock it.

Jeff

Then you'll volunteer to write it, right ;) ?

:eek: ?!? WHO ME ?!? :eek:

With all seriousness, I did not start this thread with the intention that someone else would simply pick up the slack.

Unfortunately, I would not consider myself to be any type of expert on the topic of spam filtering. But I will do all that I can to contribute to many other topics on the site.

Actually I've got one partially written but it's based on SpamBlocker3, which isn't final yet, so it'll come as soon as SpamBlocker3 is done.

Looking forward to seeing it..

Now that I've added wikiwatching to all the other stuff I do, I hope I get a lot of help on the wiki so I don't fall even further behind.

Actually Jeff, I was originally planning on starting the WIKI myself after seeing how much interest was there. You simply pulled a quick-draw on me.
I am quite happy to help you out with whatever needs to be done to get this project up and running, and community driven.

Protecting against spam is actually quite easy, but you're right; you have to know how.

No one likes defaults, and everyone likes their own way. It's going to be an interesting topic; I hope I don't have to lock it.

Yea, its definitely easy... especially for the guy who writes the spam blocker conf file... :p

Spam is not going to be the only topic with this problem. Wait until the shopping cart page or the operating system page opens up! :D

Actually Jeff, I was originally planning on starting the WIKI myself after seeing how much interest was there. You simply pulled a quick-draw on me.
I've been thinking of doing it for some time; if you do a whois on the daguru.net name you'll see it was first registered in 2001 ;) .

Actually the name was originally for something ele, but daserversoluitons.com has been around for about 3-1/2 years.
I am quite happy to help you out with whatever needs to be done to get this project up and running, and community driven.
Good. I can let you do most of it ;) .
Spam is not going to be the only topic with this problem. Wait until the shopping cart page
I have no vested interest in shopping carts ;) .
or the operating system page opens up!
As I've said before, DirectAdmin is written on CentOS; everything else is a port ;) .

Jeff

I would be willing to provide some content for the Wiki if you'd like me to; however, I do not have any interest in maintaining the Wiki. Let me know when you are ready and how I should get the content to you. Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

I know the spanish community has been trying to setup a spanish forum or section in vain. As you know, I speak spanish and english fluently. If you care for a spanish side of the wiki, you can count on me to translate it and manage it on my spare time.

DA is the core of our business, so it's not like I'm going to disapear any time soon and I personally would like to be part of this project and I can translate anything including slang. That way we make sure that things are translated correctly and nothing gets lost in interpretation.

Your call.

Cheers

As of right now I can collaborate with an up-to-date spanish translation of the enhanced skin. I plan on maintaining the skin updated with any new skin related release.

I've never used a wiki, so I might need some assistance on how to upload stuff to share.

Cheers

All offers are appreciated.

toniramos,

My experience with wikis is rather limited; I'm learning. All I've ever done before this is use Wikipedia, and do some editing of incorrect Wikipedia entries.

That's why I chose the same software that Wikipedia uses.

But (for example) I don't know anything about the setup; perhaps today I'll get up the courage to log in as admin, and see what I can do to break it :) .

Everyone: Is there an easy way to set up a multi-lingual Wiki, or should I set up an /en/ and an /es/ , each with separate software?

Also, can I move a wikie from /wiki/ to /wiki/en/ and will it still work, or should I start over? (I haven't done anything yet and the install only takes seconds, so starting over IS an option.

All helpful ideas appreciated :) .

Jeff

All offers are appreciated.

Everyone: Is there an easy way to set up a multi-lingual Wiki, or should I set up an /en/ and an /es/ , each with separate software?

Also, can I move a wikie from /wiki/ to /wiki/en/ and will it still work, or should I start over? (I haven't done anything yet and the install only takes seconds, so starting over IS an option.
Jeff

Jeff,

I can help you setup the wiki. What we need to do is find out what localization options there are. Some wikis have the option of generating different versions of the same document for different languages. This way they are all "linked" and not seperate.

Jeff,

I can help you setup the wiki. What we need to do is find out what localization options there are. Some wikis have the option of generating different versions of the same document for different languages. This way they are all "linked" and not seperate.

That would be great.

Maybe something simple like this:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 363
Back