Domain Already Exists?

wdatkinson

Verified User
DA v1.30.2

I'm trying to add a new domain at the user level. The domain doesn't show up in the user's list of active domains. When I try to add the domain, I get a message that it couldn't be created because it already exists.

I've tried this from the reseller and admin level as well. I've searched through the system, and don't find the domain name listed to any user/reseller on the entire system.

I'm guessing that the domain name has been orphaned in a config file somewhere and DA doesn't see it as part of its configuration.

Any ideas where to start poking around. I generally make it a rule not to play around with config files outside of DA, so I thought I'd ask first.

I found some orphaned files here:

/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains

I deleted them, and am still unable to add the domain in question.

I checked /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains.list but the domain name isn't listed there either....

Looks like this might be a search and destroy mission.

Ok, I found additional orphans here:

/var/log/httpd/domains/
/var/spool/virtual/
/var/named/
/etc/virtual/
/home/username/domains/
/home/username/mail/
/home/username/imap/

Noticing the files for DNS, I checked in the DA gui, and found DNS entries for the domain. I deleted them via DA and was then able to add the domain at the user level. Odd that I ended up in this situation. Something obviously happened during the domain creation initially to leave behind these files.

I'm waiting for DNS to update now, and hopefully the issue is fixed.

DirectAdmin uses the existence of a DNS zone to determine that a site exists.

Jeff

It just uses something like:
Code:
grep -c 'domain.com.db' /etc/named.conf

And if the output doesn't equal to 0, then it throws the error (that the domain already exists).

Thank you!

It just uses something like:
Code:
grep -c 'domain.com.db' /etc/named.conf

And if the output doesn't equal to 0, then it throws the error (that the domain already exists).

I was utterly baffled until I did the "grep -c 'whatever.net.db' /etc/named.conf".
It returned 1.
I edited /etc/named.conf, found and deleted the reference, and now it returns 0 and I was able to create my domain.

All is well. Thank you so much. :)

Unable to write (.)

Guys, this shouldn't take more than 60 seconds to add new domain, but now I have to waste time with debugin' . So the story is:

I want to add domain but I received this :

Unable to write user's httpd.conf
Althouth threre is folder created and zone in named.conf

Ok, I thought I have to increase quota for reseller - tried to modify and received this

User's System Quotas set
An error occurred while writing the apache files: Unable to open user's httpd.conf

oki-doki. Sir Martinas came to the rescue (again)
for those who have bumped into this horrible situation I can copy-paste his advice that actually helped.

you might try: cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts; ./set_permissions.sh all

That fixed all, but I forgot to restart MySQL - should do it, otherwise - not good
so after service mysqld restart
all things went to the right (hope so) condition.
Meanwhile, I almost called to Dr.Kevorkian support team, as I was soooo frustrated.

You don't need to reset all the permissions for all the files. You only needed to reset the permissions for the one file that you had a problem with.

And don't post your question or problem in multiple areas of the forum. It wastes our time.

Our -who?

Everyone who reads the forum trying to help people like you. Our time is wasted in just having to read duplicate entries. So don't post the same question or problem in more than one place.

I tried to warn you before you got banned. I will let the moderator take care of this from this point.

Okay, guys. Stop bickering. I'm only one of the people who can press the banned button, but none of us like to do that.

Oleg_Bkk, it's against the forum rules to double post; it can result in all of the posts on the same topic being deleted.

You obviously think it okay to tell Floyd to buy a time-management manual, but would you like it if all the help you gut here was to read the entire forum, the entire Knowledgebase, and to Google for the answer (it's probably out there).

Or worse, to buy support from some third-party support company?

These forums work when we all cooperate and obey the rules.

Floyd, please don't threaten people with banning unless you're one of those with permission to do it :).

Thanks to both of you.

Jeff

Floyd, please don't threaten people with banning unless you're one of those with permission to do it

That is why I said "I will let the moderator take care of this from this point."

I was letting him know that the possibility existed from the moderator which of course is you. At least that was the intent. It may not have come out that way. I did not mean to sound like I was threatening him. Sorry.

I was letting him know ...
It was a sweet sunday morning december 28, I made a coffee and set to check news and mails. Suddenly - I found there is a direct threat to me.
Dear Floyd, I got your point. Banned? hm.. Cut me off the only forum I might get a chance to fix DA issues? Just out of the blue hurt someone you don't even know? Well, from now, you got my attention, and welcome ...:)

Last edited:
Floyd has made it clear he didn't consider it a threat.
Jeff
Dear Jeff, sir, I appreciate your kindness, and value it, but no, I didn't read anything that sounds like excuse of unjustified threat toward me.
I don't have much time right now - somehow everybody celebrates something, shall follow this issue after holidays.

Last edited:
Hi. I have made a mistake playing around with dns_ns.conf, then I added domain, and it was a mess. Now i cannot add it again, because it says Already exists, but there is no zone nothing, and grep -c 'domain.com.db' /etc/named.conf returns 0.

What should I do? ;/

Hi. I have made a mistake playing around with dns_ns.conf, then I added domain, and it was a mess. Now i cannot add it again, because it says Already exists, but there is no zone nothing, and grep -c 'domain.com.db' /etc/named.conf returns 0.

What should I do? ;/
Open new topic with also your OS used and version information that would help the ones here trying to help you.

Back