Question: Remote Linux Installation (clean)

gcypher

Verified User
Hi, i got this server running but its not using DA .. i do have another server which is using DA
The problem is i live in Holland now and the server which does not run DA is located in Spain.
Now i wanted to create another DA server but not want to pay 300 euro for a new server install so i would like to do it myself, the only problem i have i cannot drive with my car from holland to spain just to install a new server .. so if anyone knows if a remote installation can be done i would like to hear your suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Michel

You can certainly install DA remotely; we do it for clients all the time.

Do you need to save anything off the old server?

If so, you'll need to back it up.

Then you should clean the server of any old control panels, extra software, users, etc.

Make it as clean an OS original install as possible, with as little installed as possible.

Then do a DA install.

Jeff

i am sorry if i wasnt clear telling what i wanted, but what i ment to ask is if its possible to install the os remotely .. ? its already up & running but i want to do a clean install.

It is possible, if you are on a VPS with virtuozzo (and the provider hasn't disabled this option) you can click to reinstall OS in your powerpanel. Other ways are to call provider and ask for them to reinstall or to ask if they have KVM over IP available which will let you do stuff like reinstall OS over internet but most providers will charge by the hour for KVM over IP.

Even using KVM over IP you'll need someone there to insert the CDROM for most distributions.

Jeff

i found this link

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007

i used this article and made some custom configuration and tests and guess what .. You can achieve a remote install with only a kickstart file and and remote ftp which contains the fedora distro.

I tested it and it does work !

Wow never knew that was possible as well. I've heard of stories where you can install gentoo into the swap partition and then at start up set the swap with the boot flags to boot into it. And once you're in in then perform a wipe of the other partitions to reinstall gentoo on the other partitions.

This is definitely interesting, thanks :)

If anyone is interested about the config i used .. i would be happy to give some examples.

I have been testing this for over 2 weeks and kinda made my install perfect to my needs.

It really is a great way of installing a system remote with the need of deployment servers or what so ever.

Do note that there always can go something wrong .. so i dont take any responsability if you screw up your server ..

But you can always rollback after a reboot when install fails .. or something else fails to load.

If anyone is interested about the config i used .. i would be happy to give some examples.

I have been testing this for over 2 weeks and kinda made my install perfect to my needs.
It would great if you can post your "HowTo" in this thread. Thank you

If you do not have KVM/IP access, I am not sure how this helps.
At the end of the day you have to ask someone to insert CDROM, floppy disk or at least type kickstart location parameter at the prompt.

If your datacenter charges 300 euro for OS reload, I dont think they will be willing to do that for you.

If you do not have KVM/IP access, I am not sure how this helps.
At the end of the day you have to ask someone to insert CDROM, floppy disk or at least type kickstart location parameter at the prompt.

If your datacenter charges 300 euro for OS reload, I dont think they will be willing to do that for you.

And thats what i am talking about .... once you have a running OS there is no need for KVM or what so ever ;)

Hi guys, sorry i reply at such a late time but here are my configs i used with success.

You should configure them to your needs and options you prefer.

:cool:

Attachments

• ks&grub.conf.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 261
This looks like it might be what i am looking for. Does anyone know if thise works on CentOS?

I am actually installing CentOS through VNC as I type this and I am actually installing it on top of debian. Freakin SWEEET!

And thats what i am talking about .... once you have a running OS there is no need for KVM or what so ever ;)

I initially thought that by "have a running OS" you mean another system where you store your kickstart files.

However, I took a look at your config files and it all makes more sense to me now :) You are talking about clean installation over existing working Linux install. For the new server with no Linux already installed (or for the old server with corrupted filesystem) it's not going to work.

It worked great! I did not use the kick start file though. I just changed the grub config and downloaded the images. It's really sweet. It reboots and poof you can VNC to the install.

Back