ORDB Shutting Down

BigWil

Verified User
Just an FYI for those using exim.conf with ORBD. From http://www.ordb.org/news/?id=38

----------------
We regret to inform you that ORDB.org, at the ripe age of five and a half, is shutting down. It's been a case of a long goodbye as very little work has gone into maintaining ORDB for a while. Our volunteer staff has been pre-occupied with other aspects of their lives. In addition, the general consensus within the team is that open relay RBLs are no longer the most effective way of preventing spam from entering your network as spammers have changed tactics in recent years, as have the anti-spam community.

We encourage system owners to remove ORDB checks from their mailers immediately and start investigating alternative methods of spam filtering. We recommend a combination involving greylisting and content-based analysis (such as the dspam project, bmf or Spam Assassin).

DNS and the mailing lists will vanish today, December 18, 2006.

This website will vanish by December 31, 2006.

Well I think anybody using the default exim.conf does so to keep processes from slowing due to timeouts and such it might be a good idea for them to at least comment out the ordb lines.

Not to mention this thread is a good way of letting DA know to take it out in the next release.

Cheers,

Big Wil

I'm in touch now with DirectAdmin to use this opportunity to revamp the blocklists used in my SpamBlocker exim.conf file.

A new exim.conf file could be issued as early as today.

In the meantime, it's good to know that leaving ORDB in won't break anything, though it could slow down incoming email about two seconds waiting for a timeout. Note that doing so will not place an appreciable load on your mail server; I've been watching my main server for over 24 hours now.

Anyone who wants to discuss this with me in realtime right now (Tuesday afternoon, PST) can attempt to find me in the DA chatroom:

http://chat.directadmin.com/

Jeff

Since 26 March in the morning, no email reach my server!

All email reject to sender with block by ordb.org

I have to commented out those line to get mail throuth.

FYI

Back