How to install CentOS?

smoked1

Verified User
What is the right way to install CentOS before installing DA? Should I do a Custom install with no packages? Should I allow it to use the firewall when it asks? Do I enable SELinux? Will it automatically install SSHD for me so that I can connect when it's done?

Do a minimal install. Its at the bottom of the list. It will include ssh.

Its your choice to use the firewall and selinux or not. You can always change it later.

Thanks for the response. In "Installation Requirements" it says:

"***Please do not install services such as Apache, PHP, MySQL, Ftp, Sendmail, etc., as we will do this for you. All we need is a CLEAN install of your operating system.***"

I have tried and it seems that not installing sendmail is quite an issue. Does it really matter? CentOS will install it no matter what.

So minimal install is the way to go with CentOS? Sorry I have never used it before. If I enable the firewall during install does it just create iptables rules that can later be changed with apf or kiss or is there a tool to be used in CentOS. Sorry for all of the questions but I have always used Debian or FreeBSD with no CP.

Please ensure SSH is installed and working.

Please ensure named (Name Daemon) is selected during the Redhat install.
gcc and g++ are required to compile apache and php

As previously stated ssh is included in the minimal install.

Do not worry about including any extra packages such as gcc or bind because packages on the cd are older than what is currently available. If you include them you will just have to download and install them again as part of the "yum update"

Below is a list I install after the minimal install. Some are required for DA and some for other reasons.

gcc-c++
bind
libxml-devel
libxml2-devel
libxml2
autoconf
automake
bison
flex
libc-client
elinks
lynx
ntp
libc-client-devel
perl-libwww-perl
xinetd

Thanks for the help. I got it installed but forgot to include bind9 so I am just going to install it from yum.

I have tried and it seems that not installing sendmail is quite an issue. Does it really matter? CentOS will install it no matter what.
CentOS will install sendmail because it needs a way for the server to send email. If you don't include it in your list it won't set it to run as a daemon.

The exim install as managed by DirectAdmin will delete sendmail and create a link from sendmail to the exim binary.

Jeff

Do a minimal install. Its at the bottom of the list. It will include ssh.

Its your choice to use the firewall and selinux or not. You can always change it later.

i am installing CentOS as well, and i don't have the minimal option, only desktop, server, workstation, custom. I use the DVD in linux text mode. Wat should i do ?

Don't check any of them :) .

Of course that'll leave out too much.

You can use the server install or the custom install, but then drill down into each selection and remove everything you don't need.

I believe I may have posted our list on these forums previously.

Jeff

Back