DA needs a WIKI, even if its 100% user supported

Which documentation software should we use? (if you vote, expect to contribute:))

• MediaWiki ([url]http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki[/url])

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • DokuWiki ([url]http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki[/url])

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Article Management System ([url]http://www.articletrader.com/articlems/[/url])

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
I like short domains. I vote for daguru.net.

Why not just set something up right now? I mean, it is a wiki, what is holding us back other than a software choice?

I voteed for Doku (as it is most geared towards documentation, text, readability) rather than media (like mediawiki). But the votes won for mediawiki so far. Shouldn't take all but a half an hour during lunch to set it up right? :)

Okay, I'll set it up later today on wiki.daguru.net (or perhaps wiki.dagurus.net if necessary; my partner is using daguru.net and I don't know if I can use a subdomain of it or not), and will post here tomorrow.

Once it's set up the main page will show how to apply to be a staff-member.

Please peruse the previous posts in this thread and leave a note as to which of the offered logos you like (post the URL of the specific thread post). Or create a new one.

I'll be using mediawikie; when you suggest a logo please suggest one that will be easy to fit into the default mediawiki skin.

I'll be using mediawiki mainly because there seems to be more documentation, examples, etc., for it, so please post here and let me know if you have good mediawiki experience.

Jeff
Edit: made change to indicate possible domain names.

I think Directadmin needs to hire someone to get this done too.

See, it seems like everyone but directadmin is filling in some holes here.

1- Skins: Who's doing all the skins updates and who's making the skin deal happen ?

Outservices.net

2- Wiki: Who's taking the initiative to make a wiki ?

Jeff Lasman and the community.

These are the kind of things that make DA the best and most robust panel, but the crappiest looking one, the least known of the best, and the worst one managed by the owners.

Sorry to realistic.

I've deleted the posts which have nothing to do with the Wiki. Create a new thread to discuss whether or not DirectAdmin should create more or more modern skins.

Jeff

Any more votes? To use these someone will have to change them to show the new domain name: we're going to go with

wiki.dagurus.net

as I don't share that one with anyone.

And since hopefully a bunch of us gurus will work on it.

Sorry for the delay in getting it running. Should still be done today or later this weekend.

Jeff

Hello all

This wiki idea is great.

Hope to see it soon and if i can do something to help you out, just ask.
If this is going yo be multi language, i can help with the french part.

Sky

Any more votes? To use these someone will have to change them to show the new domain name: we're going to go with

wiki.dagurus.net

as I don't share that one with anyone.

And since hopefully a bunch of us gurus will work on it.

Sorry for the delay in getting it running. Should still be done today or later this weekend.

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Just poking through the boards and spotted this one. Anyhow, how is the progress on the wiki?

<BTW> I really enjoyed helping you out on Sunday!

It seems the wiki idea flares up every few months and then dies again.

Hello

I have had no replys from the people that seamd to be in charge.

Im on holliday for a fiew day, im going to set something up.

A wiki seams to be the best choice. (im going for mediawiki)
Is there some people out there that can help for the multi language configuration?

I can provide hosting and domain.

The wiki in my ind whas just one part.
Im going to setup aside this a simple website with the latest changes on the wiki, news on DA, etc...

Sky

@nealdxmhost:
Thanks for the help. For those who don't know, we moved a cabinet worth of servers between two buildings in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, after spending several days readying for the move. @nealdxmhost was a great help.

Anyone who needs to follow our ups and downs on twitter, please see:

http://www.twitter.com/nobaloneynet

@sky (and others):
We found out we'd promised control of the daguru domain to another company (even though we maintain ownership), so I've just set up an instance of mediawiki on one of my servers at wiki.dagurus.com.

Sky, or others, please feel free to join the wikimasters mailing list:

I've set up the mailing list to keep all wiki management discussions in one place.

To join the list, send a message to [email protected] with the line subscribe [email protected] in the body of the list. Note that Majordomo does'nt process commands in the subject line of the email.

You'll get a notice asking you if you reallly mean to subscribe. You must reply to that email as instructed to join the list.

Once you join, use the list to explain what you can do to help, and what kind of access you believe you'll need.

Note that if you use an address that requires a sender visit a site to get approval, you most likely will NOT get subscribed to the list. And if anyone on the list tries to write you directlly, and gets a similar request, you may find your access to the list and/or your wiki posting approval revoked.

The list URL appears to work now; it may take a few hours before the wiki URL is pointing correctly.

Jeff

Everything appears to be working now except that since it appears anyone can join, and get their own page to edit, I'm not showing it to the public yet. So hopefully someone will write to the forum and offer to help me set it up to be secure.

Thanks.

Jeff

Join the WikiMasters mailing list and make an introductory post. See post #116 above.

Jeff

Join the WikiMasters mailing list and make an introductory post. See post #116 above.

Jeff

jlasman I think you are trying something else here. The Wiki has to be Fully independent and Open Source not mailing lists and stuff like that.

I am pretty sure I are doing things a little bit wrong. Just my opinion.

Back