Exim and .forward files

Herbster

In the absence of per domain or per email account DA Spamassassin controls, I'm attempting to implement my own spam filtering.

To be clear, I am not the server admin. I'm a desperate customer with a shared hosting account who is trying to retain his sanity.

My host says that to the best of his knowledge DA does not support .forward files. I'm in over my head, but it looks like .forward files are enabled by the exim.conf file. True? The following is a snippet from an exim.conf file posted in this forum. Is this part of the default exim.conf? If so, what path do I use to pipe incoming mail to a perl script? As in:

| path/to/script/script.pl

Snippet from an exim.conf:

userforward:
driver = redirect
allow_filter
check_ancestor
check_local_user
no_expn
file = $home/.forward
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
reply_transport = address_reply
no_verify

If this code is not from the default exim.conf, would adding it present any risk to my host should he choose to add it?

Edit: OK. I just found this thread: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1092 and it may solve my problem, but I'll leave this post for comment.

Last edited:
Herbster said:
My host says that to the best of his knowledge DA does not support .forward files. I'm in over my head, but it looks like .forward files are enabled by the exim.conf file.
Note that I'm only answering this particular part of your question, to help you understand how DA works...

Only your main user account is a real linux user, so even if added, forward files would only work for email addressed to that user.

Your email user accounts are virtual email users, without a home directory, so there's nowhere to put a .forward file.

Jeff

Back