client behind firewall unable to connect to :2222

pastrami

Verified User
I'm not sure whether it's the firewall that's not allowing the connection or the port is blocked.

Any suggestions around this?

I did a search on the forum and some suggests that we change the port #, that might be hard since he's not sure what ports are blocked.

Can I point the page https://www.domain.com:2222/ to some where else that he can use?

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated!

You can change the port to something else, but that would be a server wide change... meaning every client on the server would have to make the adjustment.

I believe it's done in the directadmin.conf and httpd.conf files...

thanks for the help ...

what would be a good port# to use, one that would most likely be opened and one that would also be 'safe' ...

any suggestions

There's no way you're going to be able to tell unless his admin can tell him what's open.

Or unless you do a portscan, which is a great way to get his admin really upset.

It may very well be that only the ports the admin thinks he needs are open and there's not even going to be an available port.

I'd recommend he find out what ports are open.

Jeff

I dunno if he could get a list of the ports that are open ... some security thing.

I know it worked with cpanel before but then he switched over to DAdmin and it does not work.

What port does cpanel use? Also, anyway to re-route to something liek cpanel?

I apologize if those are stupid suggestions, total noob here :)

Can DA be run on port 80 or 443 if you only run it securely? Do you see a big problem with this?

rldev said:
Can DA be run on port 80 or 443 if you only run it securely? Do you see a big problem with this?

Thanks for the suggestion, can anyone chime in on this?

DA runs it's own daemon.

It can't run on either port 80 or port 443, because these ports are bound by apache.

Jeff

That's right I forgot that it runs on it's own daemon. Thanks.

I suppose one might be able to come up with something like cpanel proxy for DA.

One question. Is all this really worth it? Your going to change the port DA uses for this one user and make everybody else change? No matter what port you use other 80 and a select few others your might always have someone unable to connect.

Well for me, my current cp connects over standard ports. I have a lot of customers behind firewalls. So it would certainly be a problem. It would be nice to find a common port open by default on most firewalls to allow access. I'm certain cpanel proxy could be tweaked for DA.

yeah I talked to my server admin and he's pretty much against changing the port on all users to accomadate one person.

As rldev hinted to, is there anyway to tweak the proxy in DA to match that of cpanel?

Hi!
I am in a similar problem to the one you had some time ago.

I downloaded this php script
http://cpanelproxy.net/
tried to tweak it, changing every appearance for a particular port (e.g. 2082 ) to 2222, but didn´t work.

I am getting the following error.
"
Invalid login. Please verify your Username and Password"

I wonder if there is somewhere a similar script that would work...

Last edited:
I just let IPTABLES do the work for me:

They can be defined if you're running iptables for security - just redirect to another port - :8080 is pretty common.

Here's the line:
$IPT -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 8080 -j REDIRECT --to-port 222

Last edited:
I wonder if Direct Admin daemon uses cookies for authentication.

Some proxies have problems handling authentication based on proxies.

I am wondering if the mod_proxy in the apache's reverse proxy function will solve this problem. I tried to configure the proxy, but did not get what I want, I have limited knowledge, can someone shine some light on me?

mod_proxy would work if DA
doesn´t use cookies.

Now the question is, does DA use cookies?

Back