using a second IP for some domains

merlinsilk

Verified User
I might have some misunderstanding on some of the basic functions of DA, so I first describe what problem I try to solve, then what I already tried and where I failed, and then I hope that somebody can point me in the direction to got to correct my mistakes and solve my problem.

- I had forwarded most of my email addresses from different domains directly to gmail accounts, these emails apparently received much spam and google blocked the primary IP of my server from receiving mail.

- first I removed the forwards to stop the spam traffic to google and now I try to move some of my domains to my second IP and this is where I struggled and possibly broke something already.

- as admin I created one reseller and this reseller created all the users and each of these users have one or more domains. This is how I understood I need to do this in DA. I have two IPs with the second only used for the second name server.

- on the admin level the IP management gives me
IP Status Reseller User(s) Nameserver Netmask Select
70.33.186.14 server 77 ns1.zensory.com
70.33.186.15 free 255.255.255.0

before I started to mess with this I actually had a ns2.zensory.com as the name server for the .15 IP. I had deleted that IP as a test and when I added it again I did not find any way to get the ns2... back for that IP - how would I do that?

- Next I thought that I should created a second reseller with the idea that at that level I could assign the second IP to that reseller and then move users to that reseller and thus change the IP they use.

- I am unable to create a new reseller, I get the message
Error Creating User merlin001
Details
You have not given the reseller any IP's. Unable to create an assigned IP domain or any nameservers without any??(off screen)??

- That seems to be a catch22 because I can not assign an IP to a reseller that I can not create because it has not been assigned an IP - what is it that don't understand here?

- also the form for creating requires a domain name - does that have to be a real name because I don't see why a reseller should need a domain, it's the users that have domans, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Merlin

I choose to respond to the main issue of your post; hopefully it will be helpful.

To send email out through a different IP# on your server you don't have to change any IP#s, or MX records, and in fact doing so will NOT affect the IP# your server uses to send email.

To send email from a different IP# on your server first make sure the IP# exists on the server and is pingable.

Then in your exim.conf file, find the lines:
Code:
remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
and add a new line directly under the second line:
Code:
  interface = 12.34.56.78
replacing the IP# above with the one you want to use.

Then restart exim.

But only do it for a short-term fix and work with whomever won't accept your email to get on their good side; it's not fair to your IP# provider to poison an IP# and not work to fix it, and many blocklists will see what you've done if you leave it, and eventually block all your IP#s.

Jeff

Thank you so much, Jeff!

that helped a lot. And for sure I try to clean up that IP, but you know how difficult it is to hail a real person at Google. I did manage last night, before I posted my cry for help here, to find a page at Google where I submitted my request to unblock the IP, explaining to them how it happened and that I had removed the source of the spam appearing to come from my server.

As for the other (now little) problem I created in my IP setup on my server - maybe you have another great hint for me:

as the admin, when I look at the IP management, my second IP used to have listed ns2.zensory.com as the second name server. Through my fiddling I managed to lose that. Any idea where I can set this to get this back, even though it does not seem to have any negative effect.

Cheers,
Merlin

The purpose of listing the nameserver at the IP# is simply to make sure the IP# is answered to on the server. I believe you can do that at the reseller account where you set up your nameserver IP#s. That may be a specific reseller, in which case the IP# must be assigned to that reseller, or the admin reseller level.

Jeff

interesting, I never looked at the reseller or user level when logged in as admin.
What I found is that going to the reseller level of admin and checking IP management, I only see my first IP, while at the admin level I see both, but only the first list the name server.
And there is no adding of IPs or editing at the reseller level.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Merlin

Who owns the IP#? My recollection is that if it's not assigned, to admin then it won't show up at the admin reseller level.

Jeff

and this might be exactly the point where I lack understanding of the philosophy of DA - and not only philosophy ;-)
I have no idea where an IP might be assigned to anybody.
This also showing up when I try to create another reseller and can't because no IP is assigned, and as admin in IP management I can't assign the IP to the new reseller because he is not there yet.

This is my understanding:

First you add the IP# to the server.

Then you assign it to a reseller as required (including the admin reseller if the domain will belong to the admin account).

Then you assign it to a user under that reseller.

If I'm missing something, then hopefully someone will post and let me know.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff!
I am starting to wrap my mind around the DA philosophy - slowly ;-)

With the help of support from my hosting provider I have finally managed to get the two name servers back in Admin/IP management. Here is what needed to be done to get this going:

- Admin/Reseller/Name Servers: there was only one name server listed and I had to delete this one remaining first before then I could create a new pair of name servers - voila!

- selecting and deleting one name server only reported an error but did the right thing.

Back