Rebuild IP list

abdicar

Hi there, i'm totally new using DA, and well, I think it is a good software, but i found my first DA issue... lol

For any reason, in the server X we have the main IP, and 254 IPs to use as secondarys IPs. But in http://x.x.x.x:2222/CMD_IP_MANAGER it only show the main IP.

I do internal test to all IPs of the class c, and all is binded.

There is any option to rebuild the IP list or something?

Thank you!

Seems like a huge waste of ip space... no wonder we are running out of ipv4 ips.

Anyways you can manually add them to /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip.list one ip per line.

Seems like a huge waste of ip space... no wonder we are running out of ipv4 ips.

Anyways you can manually add them to /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip.list one ip per line.

We are a hosting provider, and we have our own IPs in Arin.net, and this server it is for dedicated backups, with no domain names, or subdomains, each client install it, and use it over SSL.

I'll try the suggestion, thank you!

abdicar,

You didn't say how you added the IP#s to your DirectAdmin server. The DirectAdmin way of course is to add them through the control panel; that can take a while; it creates a list of IP#s used by DirectAdmin (see scsi's post) and it creates a file for each IP#, with the information needed to turn on the IP# upon boot.

Upon boot DirectAdmin runs it's startips script which adds those IP#s.

If you should ever manually restart the network you have to rerun that startips script or those IP#s will no longer be available on the 'net.

It appears you probably added the IP#s some other way than through DirectAdmin. When doing that, then DirectAdmin isn't going to know about the IP#s. Adding them to the file user scsi mentions will probably add them to Directadmin's control, but if you ever for any reason delete them through DirectAdmin the server will still answer to them because DirectAdmin has no way to tell the server to shut them down.

Jeff

We are a hosting provider, and we have our own IPs in Arin.net, and this server it is for dedicated backups, with no domain names, or subdomains, each client install it, and use it over SSL.
I was going to defend your use of IP#s until you responded with how you're using them.

We're also a hosting provider, and we have an onsite dedicated backup server as well as an offsite backup server available to our clients for the cost of transit.

For our onsite server we use a private network running on 192.168.x.x, and for the offsite server we use a single public IP#. I can't see a single reason to run it over multiple public IP#s.

Of course, in case other readers don't know, once you have your own IP# account, Arin charges exactly the same annual fee for either one /24 allocation or 15. That's us$1,250. Or in other words about 32.5 cents (US) per domain per year if you use them all.

And scsi (and others), all the fear-mongering aside, there are still a lot of IP#s left; it's just a matter of wresting them away from the Universities and certain other organizations who were given them in the first place.

So why the fear mongering?

Financial reasons. How can you charge us$1 per month per IP# (that's $3,840 per month for 3,840 IP#s), when they only cost you $104.17 per month if there's not a shortage.

The bottom line is that most people believe there's a shortage, and that keeps the price high. You won't believe how many IP#s there are available if you're willing to spend $1 per IP# per month.

In fact a few months ago I was offered a special price $1 per year per IP# if I needed/wanted 4096 (a /20, or 16 /25s) (a /25 is what formerly was called a class-c allocation). No justification was necessary; only money.

I know this explanation may create some dissension; I stand by my post.

Jeff

Back