rDNS of a site(with dedicated ip) assigned to server ip?

rrts

Verified User
Hi,

I am new to this hosting.

I have a question. I have been reading the forums on rDNS. But this question is not answered:

If server ip and web site hosted on it is with dedicated ip, I have to set rDNS to that website to server ip or site ip itself? Because email goes thru server ip from that web site.

Thank you!

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28513

I read this post morning. But I am not clear asking the question, I guess.

My question is: Main ip# is *ALREADY* set up rDNS to host.myhost.com. So main ip number tracking back to myhost.com

But I can set up rDNS of ALL other sites (with dedicated ip) to Main server ip # ? Or to their dedicated ips?

Thank you Floyd!

Main ip# is *ALREADY* set up rDNS to host.myhost.com. So main ip number tracking back to myhost.com

No the main ip should reverse to host.myhost.com not myhost.com. Not required but better. I actually think some mail servers require it. They know that host.myhost.com is connecting to them but the ip reverses to myhost.com and so they don't match and so a mail server could reject or filter mail based on that.

But I can set up rDNS of ALL other sites

Reverse dns is for ip addresses not sites or domains. You do not have to set up reverse dns for secondary ip addresses on a machine. You only have to set up reverse dns for the ip the outgoing mail is using.

If you read the threads I posted you will see that there should only be one reverse for each ip. So therefore you cannot or should not reverse the main ip or any ip to more than one site.

Thank you! Now I understand.

But what happens if my 4 websites (on a VPS) with dedicated ips are set to rDNS to their dedicated ips? Any problem? (All email goes thru server ip, so SPF is enough?)

The RFCs require one rDNS record for each IP#. So what happens is called undefined. It depends on how the programmer wrote the programmer since the RFCs are silent.

Things probably won't break, but they could, and as Floyd wrote, email delivery could suffer.

Jeff

Things probably won't break, but they could, and as Floyd wrote, email delivery could suffer.
So it is better to takeout the rDNS of those 4 web sites which are pointing to their own ips. Right? (But my host didn't tell me anything bad about it, when I asked them to setup rDNS for those 4 web sites to their dedicated ips.):confused:

Question:
So it is better to takeout the rDNS of those 4 web sites

There is no rnds for web sites or domains. rdns is for ip addresses.

Answer:
The RFCs require one rDNS record for each IP#.

The should be an rdns for each IP ADDRESS.

There is no rnds for web sites or domains. rdns is for ip addresses.

That is what I meant. sorry.

Takeout rDNS for those 4 dedicated ips that are pointing to 4 websites?

thank you very much!

Takeout rDNS for those 4 dedicated ips that are pointing to 4 websites?

The RFCs require one rDNS record for each IP#.

What do you not understand about this quote? The quote clearly says that a rdns is required for each ip but yet you keep asking if you should take them out. The answer is NO.

Back