Assigning more than one IP to a domain?

EGS

Verified User
Hello.

Is it possible to assign more than one IP address to a domain name in DirectAdmin? I am only seeing the option to use one IP address per domain name, yet I can assign a user multiple domain names...this isn't making any sense. :confused:

If there is no way to assign more than one IP address to a domain name, is there a way to use more than one IP for a domain..? :confused: I'd like to do this should any of my IPs go down [for some reason].

Thank you.

If there is no way to assign more than one IP address to a domain name, is there a way to use more than one IP for a domain..?
Are you assigning two different IPs to the same domain name on the same server? or two different servers?

I'd like to do this should any of my IPs go down [for some reason].
Are you planning to use this for Load Balancing, or Failover?

If Load Balancing, one possibility is to set up Round Robin DNS, but this won't provide Failover. It just provides load separation randomly. Read more about Round Robin DNS at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS

Are you assigning two different IPs to the same domain name on the same server? or two different servers?

Are you planning to use this for Load Balancing, or Failover?

If Load Balancing, one possibility is to set up Round Robin DNS, but this won't provide Failover. It just provides load separation randomly. Read more about Round Robin DNS at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS
I'd like to use more than one IP address mostly for failovers, but load balancing would also be a nice feature...is it even possible though to assign more than one IP to a domain?

If not, I feel it needs to be implemented in the next upgrade of DirectAdmin...it's not that difficult of a feature to add. :\

Right now DA assigns IPs at the user level, rather than the domain level. Before it would even be possible to think about having the ability to assign more than one IP to a domain, DA has to be changed to assign IPs at the domain level. This is something that's been asked for in the past, but has yet to be implemented. Because of DA's architecture and the way that IPs are currently assigned, this may not be as easy as you might think. I'm sure that there are a lot of changes that the DA staff are going to have to make in order to get IPs assigned at the domain level, rather than assigning IPs at the user level. Hopefully this will come as a future feature. :)

Hello,

If I'm reading your response correctly, you're only looking to add extra dns records so that the domain resolves to an external box? All you do is add extra A records:

User Level -> DNS Managment -> add A record.

Add:
www A 1.2.3.4
domain.com. A 1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the other box you want your domain to resolve to. Having a domain resolve to 2 IPs that both exist on the same box doesn't really serve a huge purpose.. so I'm guessing you want a way to have it also resolve outside of the box.

Anyway, with adding the extra A records, this will give you a round robin dns setup. This means that named will randomly return either your old IP, or the 1.2.3.4 IP for your domain.. so you'll need to make sure that you've got your data synced up to be the same on both boxes so you don't confuse any people viewing your website.

John

I'd also like to know what "creating nameservers" is as a reseller user...
I see that I can create two different nameservers for a domain using two specified IP addresses...?

Is this what I want to do?
What exactly does it do?

Thank you. (I was only aware that you can create nameservers at your registrar, thus why I am confused about this..)

Hello,

It's just an automated tool for setting up the dns zones.
You can do it manually by editing your dns zones and accomplish the exact same thing.
It does not "register" namersvers, it simply creates the 2 A records (ns1/ns2) so that they resolve, and sets the domains to those new NS values.
I personally do it all manually anyway.

John

Hello,

It's just an automated tool for setting up the dns zones.
You can do it manually by editing your dns zones and accomplish the exact same thing.
It does not "register" namersvers, it simply creates the 2 A records (ns1/ns2) so that they resolve, and sets the domains to those new NS values.
I personally do it all manually anyway.

John
How can I add 4 or 5 IPs to a DNS zone manually since I can only add two automatically?

Right now DA assigns IPs at the user level, rather than the domain level. Before it would even be possible to think about having the ability to assign more than one IP to a domain, DA has to be changed to assign IPs at the domain level. This is something that's been asked for in the past, but has yet to be implemented. Because of DA's architecture and the way that IPs are currently assigned, this may not be as easy as you might think. I'm sure that there are a lot of changes that the DA staff are going to have to make in order to get IPs assigned at the domain level, rather than assigning IPs at the user level. Hopefully this will come as a future feature. :)

I guess maybe I was wrong. :( Thanks John for the clarification. :)

I guess maybe I was wrong. :( Thanks John for the clarification. :)
So, to clarify, to add/assign more than one IP address to a domain name, I should manually add IP addresses to the "A" records of the domain name?

Which records of the domain name should I add the IPs to? And as for the nameservers themselves in the DNS settings, should that be set to the domain name or all of the IP addresses that I assign to the domain?

Thank you for your response...

[What I want to do: I am wanting to assign five (5) IP addresses to one of my domain names, and register/create a nameserver using each IP address - so my domain will have five (5) nameservers/IPs to rely on. I also want to have my domain resolve to itself or its IP...right now it is resolving to a subdomain on smart-dns.net for some reason, which is causing mail sent from my server to be detected as spam in AOL etc..guess this resolving issue also has something to do with reverse DNS as well.]

Hello,

Ok, now that goes off onto another tangent... we keep assuming you're wanting something else, so we're getting confused ;)

Based on your last snippet.. you want 5 namesevers, each with it's own IP.. ok, good. But it sounds like you actually only want 1 IP for your domain, based on the CNAME setup (what it sounds like you're doing).

To add IPs for 5 namesevesr, add the following A records:
ns1 A 1.2.3.4
ns2 A 1.2.3.5
ns3 A 1.2.3.6
ns4 A 1.2.3.7
ns5 A 1.2.3.8

where the 1.2.3.x are the IPs you want your ns1-ns5 IPs to resolve to.
With that setup, I'm assuming you're setting up the dns on 5 seperate servers, so you'll have to make sure you keep your dns data all synced up.
This is a related guide: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=138

In your domains zone, once you've registered all 5 namesevesr, then you'll want to add "NS" records for each of them.. just use the same format as whatever is already there.

Regarding the value the domain itself resolves to... it *sounds* like your DA box does not yet have any control over the dns for your domain becuase you're using external nameservers. Once you setup your namesevers and register them at your registrar, then change the namesevesr your domain uses, at your registrar.

If we knew the name of the domain, that would also help us narrow down the reason it's resolving where it is. Failing that, you can use www.dnsreport.com, as it's very handy in showing what you need to see.

John

Hey,

I want to use 5 different IPs, each IP registered to a nameserver, but on the same server. Do you get what I mean? I want to set it up so that all my IPs are being used up for the site.

I have 5 IPs for each site of mine on my server, and I'd like to use them...
I see in DirectAdmin, I can only assign ONE IP address to a site, but I'd like to use 5.

You said I have to manually do this through A records. Please explain more clearly. I only have one server, I am not trying to set this up for different servers (although thanks for the resource nevertheless).

Please help as soon as possible.
Thank you.

While we're on the nameserver subject can you tell me if there's anything wrong with my nameserver set-up?

Please refer to the attached image to see my set-up.
Thank you.

Attachments

• ns.gif
    ns.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 195
Hello,

I'm curious as to why you want more than 1 IP on the domain, since they're all on the same server? It won't increase performance any.

In any case, it would probably be easiest to just add the virtualhost entires for the other IPs into your main /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file.

Then add "A" records for the relevant records, "egamingsupply.com." and "www"

And "yes" your namesever setup is not correct.
At your registar, these are set:

NS1.EGAMINGSUPPLY.COM
NS2.EGAMINGSUPPLY.COM

but you only have 1 NS record, and it's pointing to your domain.
1) add 2 "A" records:
ns1 A 206.212.242.106
ns2 A 206.212.242.108

2) delete that NS record.

3) add 2 more NS records:
egamingsupply.com. NS ns1
egamingsupply.com. NS ns2

John

Hello.

I'd like to use more than one IP on a domain to use my entire C-Block of IPs per site of mine, and also in case for [whatever reason] an IP address goes down, the site will still be up.

I have attached an updated screenshot of my nameserver set-up, is it correct now?

And what's up with the TXT record? I don't think that is correct either..

Attachments

• ns.gif
    ns.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
They look fine, assuming you want ns1/ns2 to be on the same IP.
I did a lookup to the namesevers at ns1 was 106, ns2 was 108.. would be the only minor thing. You can always contact us via http://www.directadmin.com/support.html as we don't prowl the forums as much as we check our email.

John

They look fine, assuming you want ns1/ns2 to be on the same IP.
I did a lookup to the namesevers at ns1 was 106, ns2 was 108.. would be the only minor thing. You can always contact us via http://www.directadmin.com/support.html as we don't prowl the forums as much as we check our email.

John
Alright, I have emailed you, so hopefully I'll get this problem sorted out. :)

Back